I hate when I get the urge late at night to start making something because I just know I’ll stay up waaaaay too late working on it. Of course, that was the case last night. The result, this mini quilted handbag:
You wouldn’t believe, but this started out as something COMPLETELY different. I was just sort of “wingin’ it” so it’s no wonder it ended up totally opposite of what I originally had in mind! I’ve been wanting to do a large shoulder/tote bag out of this material so this made a great miniature mock up.
This was the first time making handles like these, and it was easier than I thought. It wasn’t wise however, to attempt sewing them on while being so tired. What a pain to put on! It also didn’t help that I had to put them on once the main body of the bag was already constructed (due to my “wingin’ it”).
I can’t wait to make a full size quilted tote, but next time I’ll be more prepared. It would be super cute to add some rivets, a snap closure, and a pocket inside.
This is one of those projects that seems like it’s on the right path until you get about half way done, and realize you want to throw it across the room. Even though it came out basically how I envisioned, there are quite a few things that need to be fixed.
I even went back and forth on whether it would just be a shoulder bag…no, a bucket bag…wait, shoulder? No, definitely a bucket bag. Lol most of this happened because I was too lazy to write and plan out my process before starting. The whole point is to build prototypes and patterns anyways so it’s not entirely a bad thing.
Overall, I’m happy it worked out and I know I’ll be super pleased once I make the necessary tweaks that will really up the quality of the handbag!
One of the goals I’ve set for myself is to work on projects consistently throughout the year. I want to make sure that I’m working on SOMETHING weekly, even if my schedule only allows a few hours a week. Not only is this great for working on technique and fundamentals, but it’s giving me the chance to learn new techniques and processes. I had some extra time this week so I was actually able to start and complete a project, which is super nice because I’m the type that hates dragging a project out. I’ve always loved working into the late hours of the night just to see the final product (my lovely eye bags are the unfortunate side effect that I’ve come to accept).
The most current craft I’ve been working on was a sewing project. I found a pattern on Etsy for a small file folder/wallet that works great for organizing coupons, receipts, recipe cards, etc. Link to the Etsy shop page can be found here if you’re interested in checking out all of the patterns offered. It was a great choice because it features a few techniques I’ve always wanted to try but have always avoided, serves a functional purpose for my organization obsession, and is small enough not to spend a fortune on supplies (since it is a trial piece). I was a little bothered at the instructions as they were not very descriptive, and there seemed to be a few errors which in a way messed up the first attempt. I took my own notes along the way so that I can make proper adjustments when I make another one. Although it didn’t come out as I hoped, it’s still functional so I’ll probably use it for awhile. I also wouldn’t consider it a total waste because above all else, it was practice. Not everything will work out on the first try, and the only way to improve is through failed attempts like these.
(Click pictures to enlarge/view captions.)
Required minimal fabric/supplies. Be sure to wait for sales and use coupons to keep costs low!
Cutting the pieces and applying interfacing is not exciting whatsoever!
The errors in the pattern made this part almost impossible, but I didn’t want to waste all of materials so I forced it as best I could.
I really wanted to throw it out the window at this point. The sloppy sewing makes me cringe.
Alas, the evenly spaced and nearly perfect sewing lines brought me a bit of peace.
Tip: Don’t spend on binding if you don’t have to. This easy to use bias tape maker creates your own custom bindings.
The body of the folder before attaching the binding.
Pattern error strikes again making it too difficult to machine sew the binding on. Had to improvise with a little (a lot) of hand sewing.
At this point, I gave up caring about a clean finish as I knew it was a bust.
The finished product.
So many areas of ugly/sloppy sewing and the fabrics are not great together, but at the end of the day it makes me happy.