I hate when I get the urge late at night to start making something because I just know I’ll stay up waaaaay too late working on it. Of course, that was the case last night. The result, this mini quilted handbag:
You wouldn’t believe, but this started out as something COMPLETELY different. I was just sort of “wingin’ it” so it’s no wonder it ended up totally opposite of what I originally had in mind! I’ve been wanting to do a large shoulder/tote bag out of this material so this made a great miniature mock up.
This was the first time making handles like these, and it was easier than I thought. It wasn’t wise however, to attempt sewing them on while being so tired. What a pain to put on! It also didn’t help that I had to put them on once the main body of the bag was already constructed (due to my “wingin’ it”).
I can’t wait to make a full size quilted tote, but next time I’ll be more prepared. It would be super cute to add some rivets, a snap closure, and a pocket inside.
Super excited for this finished project. It’s something that’s been on the to-do list for quite some time, but I didn’t really have the supplies to make it the way I wanted.
Last month sometime, there were some really great fabric sales at JoAnn so I decided to stock up.
I really wanted to try out working with vinyl because I hadn’t used it before. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t difficult to work with!
I bought a 1/4 yard of vinyl and I still have enough left to make a few more clutches. The striped fabric is a 54″ home decor fabric. I also picked up some blue striped print.
For the lining, I had 2 fat quarters on hand that happened to match the striped fabric. What a perfect coincidence!
I wish my local fabric store carried more colors of the metal zippers. I just picked up a few basic black and brown ones for now. I almost forgot that I wanted to add a tassel/pull to the zipper. I think it definitely gives it a finishing touch.
Without vinyl zipper pull:
Overall, I’m super pleased with the results! As with any project, there are little details throughout that need to be cleaner, but I’m happy with the topstitching, the lining, etc! Can’t wait to create some more!
Till next time!