Wow! It’s basically been a month since I last worked on a purse! So much has been going on that I just haven’t had any time to tackle one. I’m super excited for this one because it’s the most detailed bag I’ve attempted in quite some time- maybe ever.
It’s also exciting because it’s for my own personal use! My current purse has served me well for a lot of years, but it’s just worn beyond it’s time. The edges are peeling off, and the straps are falling apart. I realized I better retire it before it falls apart while I’m out and about.
I normally try to create my items without patterns if I’m able, but sometimes it’s too much of a hassle trying to figure out all of the dimensions and steps. I found a PDF pattern on Etsy from Ardente Design, so I was able to get started on it right away.
The pattern itself was a little…frustrating. There are a lot of important details not mentioned and a few differences in lingo that could really confuse a beginner. Some areas really took me a moment to sort of “decode” what the instructions were trying to say. The upside is that there are a lot of pictures provided to help.
For the bag, I tried to use as much fabric that I had on hand already. I used a soft, tan vinyl for the main body, a linen remnant for the main lining, and a plain beige broadcloth. All fabrics were purchased from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I was so fortunate to have zippers on hand already as well!
Surprisingly, the part I struggled with the most, was the smaller zipper pocket in the main lining! I don’t know if I was just too tired, or the linen moved too much, but I had to put it away for the night or else I was going to throw it out the window!! The next day, I ended up ripping out the stitches and starting again. It was worth it!
Overall, I love it. It’s super sturdy with lots of room. However, I do wish it was slightly smaller. I wanted a large shoulder bag, but it’s just a little wider than I thought it would be. Can’t wait to make another one!