Stayed up waaaaaay too late last night working on this clutch. It took me so long just to get motivated to start, but once I did, I couldn’t stop. The original vision I had in mind was for a crossbody bag, however I didn’t have any matching hardware to make it possible.
This was the first attempt using both faux suede and fringe in a sewing project. It was surprisingly easy to work with. I didn’t need any special needle and my regular machine foot worked fine.
The whole basis for the clutch was actually because I wanted to use the Aztec print fabric that I used as the lining. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it for some reason. Even the woman at the cutting table was drawn to it and wasn’t sure why.
I love that it is colorful and fun, and stands out so well against the faux suede without being overly bright and loud.
I still have some faux suede left over so I want to play around with it and see what else I can come up with!
The very first project I ever sewed was a small coin purse with a metal clasp closure. I found a nice little kit years ago on Etsy. It came with a cute little instruction booklet and all of the necessary supplies. I was immediately hooked!
I’ve since gone on to learn various other sewing projects, including some apparel. I love the different techniques each different project can teach you. I’ve recently taken a small pause from making baby blankets, and I’ve been making bags and pouches once again.
I realize now, it’s what I seem to enjoy most. I think part of the reason is the instant satisfaction. They are pretty easy to make so they finish up fairly quick. I also love that it’s an excuse to use all kinds of fun or wacky prints of fabric that I otherwise wouldn’t use for anything. The amount of supplies needed is also minimal so that’s a huge plus!
This past weekend I was able to finish up a small wristlet zipper pouch. It gave me a chance to use up some fabrics I’ve had in my stash for awhile. The finished dimensions are 9″ x 5.25″, with an 11″ strap. It’s the perfect size for holding a phone, keys, and a few other on the go essentials!
The main body consists of three different fabrics. The tan fabric is a soft vinyl/faux leather-like material. The printed fabric is 100% cotton from Quilter’s Showcase, and the dark blue is a home decor weight fabric similar to duck canvas.
I used a regular poly zip that I had on hand. I didn’t have the exact size needed, but they’re so easy to shorten that’s it’s not worth buying a whole new one. I like the look of using zipper tabs because it gives a nicer finish than when the side seams are pinched at the ends of the zipper. I still managed to accidentally pinch the ends of the zipper. Whomp whomp 😢. I’m still working on perfecting using zipper tabs so hopefully the next one!
Once again, I used the plain dark red fabric as the lining. I had a few of these fat quarters on hand, and I don’t have any other solid colors so I’m trying to use them up. I wanted to attempt making card slots in the lining to add an organizational element. Sometimes, I hate when you have to just throw everything into a clutch or bag, and you have to sift through it all to find what you need.
Overall, I’m really happy with how it turned out!
Super excited for this finished project. It’s something that’s been on the to-do list for quite some time, but I didn’t really have the supplies to make it the way I wanted.
Last month sometime, there were some really great fabric sales at JoAnn so I decided to stock up.
I really wanted to try out working with vinyl because I hadn’t used it before. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t difficult to work with!
I bought a 1/4 yard of vinyl and I still have enough left to make a few more clutches. The striped fabric is a 54″ home decor fabric. I also picked up some blue striped print.
For the lining, I had 2 fat quarters on hand that happened to match the striped fabric. What a perfect coincidence!
I wish my local fabric store carried more colors of the metal zippers. I just picked up a few basic black and brown ones for now. I almost forgot that I wanted to add a tassel/pull to the zipper. I think it definitely gives it a finishing touch.
Without vinyl zipper pull:
Overall, I’m super pleased with the results! As with any project, there are little details throughout that need to be cleaner, but I’m happy with the topstitching, the lining, etc! Can’t wait to create some more!
Till next time!