A few months ago I saw an old post on YouTube that really caught my eye. I was looking for some ideas to help me work on color changes and incorporating more design into knits. The video was for an infinity cowl that blends the different colors together in a really nice way.
The link to the website can be found HERE. Also check out the VeryPink YouTube channel for great tutorials!
I don’t have the knitting pattern so I’m just kind of winging it as I go. I do like that it helps me work on a few techniques such as circular knitting, jogless stripes, and Kitchener stitch. I have never tried the Kitchener join so wish me luck!!
I originally chose USC colors in hopes of wearing it to the basketball game. I didn’t have a chance to work on it so that didn’t happen. I still want to complete it though. I’ve been trying to make more time lately to tackle it whenever I can. The great thing about knitting and crocheting is the ability to take it on the go and work on it more often. Unlike other crafts, you’re not limited by being at a desk.
I’m having to adjust my cowl as I go because my first color block is too long. If I make all the blocks the same length, the cowl will be much too big. Since I’m a fanatic on symmetry and perfection, I’m going to compensate by decreasing the lengths of the striped blocks only. I think I should’ve cast on less stitches also because it’s about an inch or so wider than I’d prefer. We’ll see how it turns out!
Like most crafters, I have a couple of projects going on simultaneously. Sometimes it’s from the boredom of working the same item hour after hour, sometimes creative block forces you to take a break, or if you’re like me, you just have so many different things you want to tackle all at once!
Another reason that I’ve noticed is as simple as giving my body a break. Working a craft such as knitting for example, tends to use the same muscles constantly, and for each project. I feel that when I’m starting to feel too tense or tired, switching gears to a different medium helps by engaging different muscles and creative visions. Anyone else feel the same way?
As of right now, I’ve just been posting finished objects (FO). I enjoy seeing all of the work in progress (WIP) posts from other bloggers, so I thought maybe I should join the fun. It’s cool to see the progress from week to week, and give people a sneak peak of what you’re working on. Many times I tend to finish projects quickly, so this may only happen whenever I’m working on a knitting or crocheting project since those usually take me longe
This week’s WIP is a knitting project, specifically a beanie. I’m trying out a sock yarn for the first time and man is is time consuming! I’ve never used needles smaller than a size 4 and this yarn requires size 2! I feel like it takes forever to finish a row. I’m working it flat instead of in the round because I wanted to use a tubular cast on. The thought of trying to work the foundation rows in the round with that many stitches made me cringe. It’s hard to see the stitches because they’re so small, but I LOVE the clean stretchy edge of a tubular cast on. It’s so great for beanies.
I tried to adjust the picture to show the stitch detail, but it ended up altering the color. I’m using Deborah Norville Serenity Sock Weight in the color Black. Since this is the first time testing out this yarn, I think it’s a little too fine for this project. I think if I were to double up and use two skeins at once, it may have given a more desired thickness. I’ll just stick with it as is since I’m too lazy to redo the tubular cast on, and I’ll try it as a small swatch before beginning again.
I’m not a huge fan of the Red Heart Super Saver yarns, but they make a great choice to save money when working on practice pieces. Nothing is more frustrating than wasting an expensive skein of yarn on a project that comes out less than stellar.
My little nephew is always gone on Army posts, so I was inspired to make a little camo beanie for him. I happened to have this Super Saver yarn on hand in the color Woodsy Sylvestre. I wasn’t quite sure how I felt about how the camo pattern was working up, but from a distance, it really shows. I think what really pulls it together is the pom pom. I originally chose to leave it off as I’ve never been a big pom pom fan (although they’ve grown on me significantly). It just gives it that extra level of cuteness I think.
I didn’t have a pattern to reference and I was just creating as I went along, so I’m really pleased that the measurements fit him perfectly! I was so excited to try out my new pom pom maker as well. It’s so much better than using a makeshift template or my hand like I used to lol!