Super excited that I was able to fit in TWO fully finished sewing projects this week! I’m trying out a few different ways to get the perfect fit/style for Karla’s dog harness. For Round 2, I really wanted to make her a cute Valentine’s Day themed harness (mainly so I could browse all of the cute seasonal fabrics at JoAnn’s). This dog harness was a major improvement from the first trial, and I can see a few more areas I’d like to adjust.
I ditched the velcro closure and opted for a parachute buckle, which makes the harness way more secure and sturdy. I didn’t have the adjustable piece for the buckle so I had to make sure the nylon strapping was made to fit. It’s okaayy, but I think on the next trial I will go ahead with an adjustable option to make for a better fit around her rib cage. I think the neck strap needs to be shaped a little better as well (although I like that it is a little loose so it’s not choking her). For the chest/belly strap, I thought I was going to like bringing more of the fabric up around her back, however, I’m still deciding if I’d prefer it shorter with longer strapping.
I also added an extra layer of batting inside for extra warmth and comfort. I also like that it gives the harness a more soft and cushioned look overall:
Overall, I’m really happy with this trial harness. It was totally functional and gave her plenty of movement to run freely. Hopefully, I can improve this piece even further, and settle on a standard harness pattern with a perfect fit!